First of all, you need to remember that installing drywall panels as walls or ceilings for your home is not that hard to do. However, this is only half the battle. You still have to know about taping and applying compound on to the drywall you installed. This is very important as this will adjust the finished product that you will be left with.
When it comes to drywall installation, knowing how to correctly apply the mud is very important.
So, here are some things that you have to remember when you are going to start applying mud on to your drywall.
The first thing that you have to keep in mind is that you have to know about the compounds and tools.
Like in any do it yourself projects, preparation is the key in order for you to become successful. You need to be patient in order for you to get used to the tools and the equipments that is often used when installing and mudding drywalls. By being patient, you will be able to learn the different techniques that you will be using when installing and finishing drywalls. And, with patience, you will end up with a great looking final product.
You need to keep in mind that there are basically two types of jointing compound. The first is the powder and there are also pre-mixed compounds that you can use. You will find that different compounds are available in different textures. Taping compounds are coarser and commonly used after taping. Topping compounds are finer and this is used for producing a smooth wall. This is basically used for finishing. There are also all purpose compounds which can be used to do the entire job.
To apply the drywall mud on to the drywall, you will need to use taping knives. The knives are available in different lengths and sizes, which will be able to accommodate your needs when it comes to applying mud.
You need to remember that before you apply the compound, you need to make sure that all the nails and screws are sunk just below the surface of the drywall. This is to ensure that they don’t stick out. You can check if this is done properly by running a knife along the seams. If it hits any nails or screws, then you have to tap the nail or screw in the screws a little deeper.
There are four basic steps to apply mud on to the drywall. Each of the steps will require an entire day to finish, which basically means that you will get the job done in four days.
The first step is to apply the first layer, which is the taping later. You first apply the compound and then tape over the joints by using jointing tape. After this, you can apply another thin layer of compound. After this stage, you will be left with a level surface without any holes.
Next, you have to apply the other two layers of compound. These two layers are done in order to make the texture of the wall smoother. For this, you will need to use a longer taping knife than the previous steps.
The final coat is the finishing coat of compound. This will make the walls very smooth. Always remember that you need at least a day to get the compound to dry off. Because you will need to do four layers of compound, it will take you 4 days to finish the entire project. So, be patient about it and it will definitely pay off.
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Posted by Alex Comfort at 6:41 PM
- Spice Up That Less Than Fancy End Table With Stenc...
- Make Wallpaper Illusions By Faux Finish Stenciling...
- Why Backyard Landscaping?
- What to Get for Your Landscaping Lights
- What Makes Landscaping a Rose Garden Special?
- Understanding Tuscan Landscaping
- Truths about Desert Landscaping
- Tips on Front Yard Landscaping
- Tips for Do It Yourself Landscaping
- The Technical Side of Landscaping: Landscape Symbo...
- The Simple Swimming Pool Landscaping Ideas
- The Myths of Japanese Landscaping
- The Difference Stone and Pavers Landscapes Can Do
- The Business of Commercial Landscaping
- The Basic Landscaping Equipment You Must Have
- Steep Hill Landscaping; Things You Ought to Know
- Remember These Things When Deck Landscaping
- Pros and Cons of Free Landscaping Software
- Pond Landscaping: Give More Life To Your Backyard
- Low Maintenance Landscaping; Beautiful Garden For ...
- Learn the Basics of Southwestern Landscaping
- Landscaping With Boulders: Let Out Your Creative I...
- Landscaping Tips; Different Landscaping Guides
- Landscaping Design; Know the Basics
- Different Landscaping Tools and Their Uses
- Beautiful Landscaping: Planning is the Key
- Tips for Fixing Drywall Water Damage
- Do It Yourself Drywall Projects: How to Properly P...
- How to Apply Texture on Your Drywall
- Easy Steps to Applying Texture on Your Drywall
- Repairing Drywall Water Damage: Restoring Your Dry...
- The Basics Techniques of Installing Drywall Panels...
- Drywall Repair: How to Properly Repair Your Water ...
- Tips on How to Remove Drywall Mold Properly
- Drywall Finishing: Great Tips to Help You Properly...
- Drywall Water Damage: Helpful and Effective Ways t...
- How to Repair Popped Nails in Your Drywall
- Techniques to Properly Finish Drywalls
- Great Tips for Installing Drywall Properly
- Get Excellent Results When Finishing Your Drywall
- Drywall Ceiling: How to Build It and Tips to Make ...
- Effective Ways to Fix a Water Damaged Drywall
- How and Why Should You Remove Drywall Mold
- The Drywall: Tips to Properly Install Your Drywall...
- Step By Step Instructions on How to Properly Finis...
- Drywall Installation: Doing It Properly To Avoid H...
- Great Tips for Finishing Your Drywall
- Drywall Repair Tips: How to Repair Popped Nails in...
- The Proper Way to Paint Your Drywall
- The Proper Way to Patch Your Drywall
- How to Buy and Shop for Authentic Canadian Inuit A...
- How to Create a Selection of Bathroom Accessories
- Things to Consider when Choosing Bathroom Accessor...
- How to Design Framed Mirrors in Bathroom Accessori...
- How to Choose Wall Mirrors and Bathroom Accessorie...
- How to Choose Bathroom Accessories for Large Rooms...
- How to Choose Bathroom Accessories and Mirror Defo...
- How to Choose Bathroom Accessories and Wall Mirror...
- How to Choose Bathroom Accessories and Floor Regis...
- How to Consider Bathroom Accessories
- How to Darn Lace for Bathroom Accessories
- How to Choose Curtains and Bathroom Accessories
- How to Choose Bathroom Toilet Holder Accessories
- How to Use Bathroom Accessories to Design an Aquar...
- The Art of Tile Mosaics
- Roman Mosaics
- Mosaic Tiles
- Mosaics of Sonia King
- Mosaics – Mixing Colors
- Mosaics Instructions
- Mosaics Info
- Mosaics and Architecture
- Mosaic in North Cyprus
- Mosaic Books
- Mosaic Artists
- Inexpensive Mosaics
- Greek Mosaic
- Christian Mosaics
- Byzantine Mosaics
- The Good Shepherd Mosaic
- Making Mosaics
- Mosaics Info 101
- Mosaics Crafts
- Garden Mosaics
- Mosaics Samples
- Mirror Mosaics
- Byzantine Mosaic Technique
- Homemade Mosaics
- Selecting A Conference Room Chair
- How To Buy An Office Chair
- Folding Chairs
- ▼ April (91)